This exquisite, miniature figurine is a bronze version of a marble statue that was excavated in Monte Cagniolo, Italy, by Galvin Hamilton. It was purchased by Charles Townley in 1774.
A second, similar group of marble dogs was found at the same time, in the same place. That sculpture went to the Pope, where it was displayed in the Vatican Museum.
Townley named his sculpture “The Townley Greyhounds,” although they were determined to be Salukis by Sir Terence Clark, a British politician and statesman, and an avid Saluki enthusiast.
The “Townley Greyhounds” were sold to The British Museum in 1805.
This miniature, bronze figurine has all of the wonderful detail of that original marble sculpture.
It is set onto a rectangular, wooden base.
Measuring 4″ tall x 3 1/4″ long x 2 1/4″ wide it shows some expected wear on the wooden base, but the bronze figurine is in excellent condition.
This is a rare, collectible bronze dog figurine with a fabulous history, and such an endearing pose. It would be an amazing addition to any sighthound collection.
Don’t forget our free shipping within the USA. All of our items arrive gift-wrapped in our distinctive “houndstooth” paper!